Thursday, September 8, 2011

Post-Op Day 2

Recovery is going well, I think.  
Yesterday my throat was really sore from the tracheal tube.  Now, I feel really bad for all the kids I've watched who needed a nasotracheal tube for induction (so the dentist can work on the teeth).  For a kid, it probably feels 10x worse.  

Yesterday, the recovery nurse gave me instructions for exercises that my doctor supposedly wanted me to start today, but when I looked over my pre-op instructions, the sheet my doctor gave me told me I wasn't supposed to do anything (except squeeze my little stress ball) until the doctor cleared me.  Good thing I called her office to clarify!  I was honestly scared to do anything with my arm, although today, I realized that if I angle my laptop just right, I can kind of type with my left hand - well, 3/5 of the fingers on my left hand.  It really does speed things up.  

Overall though, I'm still feelin' pretty fatigued.  Despite that, I still managed to type up board meeting minutes, which I volunteered to do for the ol' office over Skype a few weeks ago.  I'm not sure if my fatigue is from the surgery or from my Percocet prescription - probably the drugs, since I get suuuuper drowsy after an hour or two.  I took one pill before going to bed and woke up four hours later, just in time to take the next one.  Today, I tried pushing it to the five-hour mark - just in time too, if I waited any longer I might have actually felt pain instead of discomfort.  

Tomorrow, I get to take the giant dressing-pad they taped onto my shoulder. Woohoo! I've been wanting to see what the stitches look like.  I'll need to call the doctor's office again because I don't remember how and if I'm supposed to clean the wounds, but on a spur, I bought a box of Finding Nemo band-aids to cover them up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment