Saturday, October 29, 2011

Scary and Annoying Things

Today I visited the middle school where I used to work and saw a girl whose bumblebee costume was way, way too short and inappropriate for a 13 year old girl to wear.  The program leaders at the after school program definitely noticed it - the "skirt" didn't cover her butt and pantyhose are NOT effective for hiding undies.  I was very, very scared for her sake, and also disgusted thinking of people who would enjoy seeing something like that.  I have no idea why the school didn't make her cover up.  These days, I guess micro-skirts are okay for slutty girls and cheerleaders?

Aside from seeing a potential pedophile-magnet costume, today was pretty uneventful.  I went to work, and watched Paranormal Activity 3.  I will sleep early tonight, because now I'm scared to be alone in the living room in a dark house with a ceiling that randomly creaks at night.

Things at work have been up and down depending on my mood and what I get saddled with that day.  I can't tell if I'm just being very negative, or if I have a right to be resentful.  On one hand, I really like interacting with the patients at the secondary location.  The patients invite me to visit their rooms upstairs or to eat with them at Chinatown, which I think is super cute.

On the other hand, I dislike being at the main office.  I think the supervisor manages things very poorly and puts way too much emphasis on profit margins.  I don't think 30 minute appointments are particularly helpful for anyone, especially if the patient spends a third of that time on the transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) unit.   My own physical therapy appointments run over an hour, although some people come and go in less time depending on the severity and phase of their treatment.  I also don't think triple-booking is a very good idea...On a super busy day, when EVERYONE shows up, it means the patients get more time on the TENS and even less time with a PT.  I understand the concept of double-booking in anticipation of a no-show appointment, but triple-booking can lead to a super exhausted and burnt out physical therapist who will leave the moment a better job offer (or less stressful job) comes up.

I hate that I even have to worry about things like my own paycheck, as in,

"Hey C, before boss left on vacation, did he tell you what to do when the pay period ends?"
"He didn't say anything."
"Oh....so uh, who do we send our hours to?"
"Maybe ask [nicer second in command dude]?"
"Oh...ok....... =/"
(facepalm)

Additionally, I don't feel comfortable carrying patient charts around when the PA-C comes to the secondary site to see patients.  This has to be a HIPAA violation.  I probably shouldn't have said anything about it, LOL.  We have an EMR system which is pretty good in terms of layout and user-friendliness, but only a few people use it for charting and notes.  When I first started, the PA-C refused to use the computer to read notes (uh, Shakespeare called and wants his doc back).  She also refused to put her progress notes INTO the chart.  Every time she hands a chart to me, I think, "Really?  Is your life SO hard that you can't even use these low-tech fastener tabs to secure a piece of paper?"*

At the end of the day, I try to remind myself why I do what I do: for the patients, and for the experience.  I like the patients, and I think they appreciate being able to talk with someone who can stick around.  It's still pretty tough though.

*Edit:  I'm starting to learn that I'm really passive aggressive.   I'm not sure whether it's a bad thing or not.  So far, most people seem entertained by it.  I like being entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment