Friday, October 14, 2011

Pressure

I think the biller at work had a panic attack because I accidentally left out one out of a total of ten columns on the worksheet.  The billing categories/codes aren't even that complex, and although I sent a clarifying e-mail about it, she must have complained to the office manager because I got a "talking-to" the next day.  The talking-to doesn't annoy me as much as the fact that the biller couldn't tell me herself.  Anyway, I did screw up the billing spreadsheet so that was on me, but the person who checked my work didn't catch it either and the columns are labeled very clearly.  ANNNND who the heck does billing on Microsoft Word anyway?!  Why don't we use spreadsheets?!  I'm trying to resist the fact to point out things around the office that could be done more efficiently and effectively.  Sometimes, people don't take very kindly to it unless it comes from the Big Boss.  Suffice to say, I've learned to pick and choose my battles and MCAT studying is higher up on my "List of Things to Spend Energy Caring About," right after eating Mac and Cheese Spring Rolls.

Anywhodiddlydoo, my coworker today was looking for alternate jobs online.  I like working with him so I feel bad for the guy because he's currently the sole physical therapist and ridiculously overbooked.  His schedule is borderline impossible for one person to follow without increasing his risk of burning out and seriously compromising the quality of care a patient could receive.  I get the vibe that the owner is trying to make as much money as humanly possible.  I'm not sure whether the owner is struggling to break even between or  shooting for profit.  I understand the business principles behind it - my former boss at the surgery center had similar concerns about patient volume and income.  The difference is at the surgery center, I don't think we were sacrificing quality of care to achieve our goals whereas here, I am not so sure.

It's partly why my two coworkers and I, who share a tiny tiny walk-in-closet-sized office, like working at the senior home more.  The treatment schedule is SO much more relaxed, to the point that I have to politely shoo overly talkative grandmas out of the office so I can help the next patient.  The staff is also really nice.  One of the senior residents invited me upstairs to visit her and her husband in their unit.  SO cute.  I'm glad I'm at the senior home Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays.

This weekend I will be catching up to the MCAT class homework and trying to review the optional study materials because I suck at physics.  Annnnd drawing comics during my study breaks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just found your blog. Best of luck recuperating from your injury and with the MCAT. I still can recall my fear of physics way too vividly. Ironically, it ended up being my best section. Maybe the same will happen to you!

    ReplyDelete