Monday, August 15, 2011

Books

On Thursday, NPR posted the Top 100 Reader-Selected Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books.  This was made public at a rather opportune time...In September I will be undergoing surgery for a torn labrum.  I'll be in a sling for about 4-6 weeks, but I'm not sure what my own level of activity will be within that time.  I don't want to sit on my butt the entire time, but little things like getting dressed to go outdoors will be difficult (and potentially painful).  If I am diligent, I will start reviewing material for the MCAT buuuuuuuut I think I would rather sample books on NPR's Top 100 list.

I'm actually surprised that I've read quite a few of them during high school - 1984, Flowers for Algernon, Fahrenheit 451, and Frankenstein, to name a few.  They are all very sci-fi-y, but I always associated the sci-fi category as books for leisure rather than books for study.

Also, The Princess Bride made the list.  Woohoo!

I've also been reading The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care by T.R. Reid.  I've only been reading it during meal-times instead of devouring it all in one day.  It is a good beginner's book for people who want to learn how health care is managed in different first-world countries.  I may just want to read it again so the info sinks in better.  I might post a few thoughts on it later on...when I'm less lazy :P

No comments:

Post a Comment